Hemenway & Barnes provides comprehensive general counsel services to privately held companies, family businesses and nonprofits in a wide variety of industries, including real estate, technology, healthcare, manufacturing, and financial and professional services.
By maintaining personal partner-level relationships with our clients, we are able to provide practical, timely advice on a day-to-day basis and during transactions and transitions. Our experience ranges from contract negotiations to corporate governance, including:
- Compensation and equity participation
- Commercial transactions and licensing agreements
- Debt and equity financing
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Partnerships, joint ventures and strategic alliances
- Real estate leasing and acquisition
- Succession planning
- Tax planning and disputes
- A charitable organization initially came to H&B for help with its nonprofit work. As their needs evolved, so did our role. Serving as general counsel for more than a decade now, we help the organization navigate their nonprofit, corporate, tax and real estate matters.
- After our successful representation of a private equity firm in the acquisition of a distressed regional consumer product/home delivery business, the operating company retained H&B to serve as outside general counsel.
- Serving as general counsel to an SEC-registered investment advisor with over $2 billion in assets under management, H&B created and maintains compliance policies and procedures and organizes and maintains the company’s pooled investment vehicles, including drafting private placement memorandums, governing documents and securities law compliance policies.
- A healthcare technology company that developed software and web-based systems to streamline the healthcare payment process hired H&B to serve as general counsel, including assisting in the formation of the company and representing it through three rounds of venture capital-led financing.
- H&B serves as general counsel for a health maintenance organization in Massachusetts, handling matters that include negotiations of technology and clinical information systems agreements.
John J. Siciliano
John J. Siciliano iscChair of the firm’s Business Law Group. He advises privately held businesses, nonprofits and individuals in business and real estate matters.