Development & Permitting
We represent clients in all phases of the development process. From selecting the appropriate development entity to navigating complex community processes, we guide landowners and developers through the complex laws and regulations governing the use and development of their property.
Our experience includes:
- Acquisition and leasing
- Dispute resolution
Development, Financing & Acquisitions
Our team advises developers and lenders in all stages of commercial real estate development projects, including multifamily housing, retail, office, affordable housing, and mixed use.
Our experience spans:
- Due diligence reviews
- Land acquisition
- Equity and debt financing
- Tax treatment
- Negotiating and drafting agreements
- Construction-related work
Permitting, Land Use & Zoning
This process often includes negotiating with local, state and federal permitting authorities, as well as neighbors and other interested parties, and representing clients at hearings and meetings. We work with owners and developers to:
- Identify the permits and approvals required under zoning, environmental and other land-use laws for a particular use or project
- Develop a strategy for obtaining these permits and approvals
- Execute this strategy and obtain the necessary permits and approvals in a timely fashion
We take the time to get to know you, your business, your goals and your challenges. With this comprehensive approach, we help you prioritize issues, solve problems and create opportunities. Our experience includes:
- Working with a real estate development company over a number of years, we helped the company acquire and assemble multiple parcels in the Kendall Square area of Cambridge, Massachusetts to create a mixed-use development consisting of office, housing and retail. The project included acquisition, financing and disposition of certain parcels involving both ground leases and fee ownerships.
- A South Shore nonprofit engaged us to represent it in connection with the construction of an addition to its Marshfield facility, which was funded in part through federal economic stimulus funds.
- A development company asked us for advice regarding how to convert a privately owned public golf course to a private golf club.
- A residential contractor sought our help in negotiating and drafting an agreement with a local development agency to construct 196 units for sale to qualified low-income residents.
- An individual client hired us to advise him in connection with the purchase and renovation of a building in the Kendall Square area of Cambridge and the creation of an artist condominium.
- A nonprofit hired us to obtain permitting for a new headquarters facility in Boston.
- Working with a national bank for more than 30 years, we advise the commercial real estate bankers on structuring new deals and a range of acquisition, construction and term loans.
- A nonprofit energy company relies on us to help it navigate its real estate matters, including new developments in wind, solar and transmission projects.
- Serving as general counsel to a real estate development company, we handle all aspects of their residential, commercial and mixed-use projects in Greater Boston, including acquisition, permitting, financing and construction.
- Assisted a national REIT in obtaining state and municipal approvals for the development of 700+ apartment units in the West End of Boston.
- Assisted a national real estate developer in the permitting of an 85-unit apartment complex in Kendall Square, Cambridge.
- Represented a Boston-based developer in obtaining state and municipal approvals for development of more than 400 residential units in Brighton (Boston).
- Represented a developer in securing planning board approval of a 40+ lot residential subdivision.
- Assisted a national REIT in obtaining state and local permits for a 440-unit residential development in the Chinatown neighborhood of Boston.
- Assisted a prominent manufacturer in obtaining permits for a facility expansion in Cambridge.
- Represented a national real estate developer in obtaining permits for mixed-use, transit-oriented developer in Malden Center.
Johanna W. Schneider
Johanna Schneider advises clients on real estate development permitting and land use and environmental disputes. She represents public and private clients in real estate disputes at all stages of litigation, including mediations and appeals.
An integrated approach to
serving the varied real estate needs of our clients from start-up developers to large corporations, lenders, nonprofits and families.