Public Law, Advocacy & Political Activity
Clients seek our help because we know how government works and the people who make it work. We routinely engage with government agencies at all levels, from federal to state and local. Our attorneys have deep roots in public service, having previously held legal and policymaking positions in the Massachusetts Senate, Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office, Supreme Judicial Court, Massachusetts Department of Revenue and Internal Revenue Service.
Hemenway & Barnes represents businesses, nonprofits, elected officials, public entities, and private clients who are affected by a host of complex state and federal regulations that constantly, and, sometimes, abruptly change. We also counsel clients on election law, ballot and campaign finance issues, and the operation of social welfare and other advocacy groups.
- Representing candidates for office at every level, advocacy organizations, and ballot question committees in qualifying for the ballot, complying with campaign finance and ethics laws, and post-election processes, including recounts and litigation.
- Navigating the oversight relationship between the Office of the Attorney General of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the state’s vibrant nonprofit sector.
- Representing the Governor of Massachusetts, Massachusetts executive agencies, quasi-public and local government entities in state and federal court, including before the Supreme Judicial Court.
- Providing advice to companies, nonprofits, and elected officials navigating election, campaign finance, lobbying and ethics laws at the state and federal levels.
- Crafting and submitting appellate briefs – for parties and amici – to various federal and state courts, including the United States Supreme Court and the Supreme Judicial Court on behalf of prominent nonprofits, industry associations and government officials on a variety of topics.
- Advising government actors in the complicated state and congressional redistricting process.
- Navigating the Massachusetts ballot initiative process and representing affected businesses and other interests in fast-paced challenges before the Supreme Judicial Court.
Jennifer Grace Miller
Jennifer Grace Miller is counsel and co-chair of the Government & Election Law Group at Hemenway & Barnes.