Hemenway & Barnes provides comprehensive general counsel services to a wide variety of nonprofit organizations, including religious institutions, colleges and universities, hospitals and healthcare plans, human services providers, private foundations, and grant-making organizations, among others.
We provide practical, timely advice on a day-to-day basis and during transactions and transitions. Our experience ranges from contract negotiations to corporate representation and governance, including:
- Governance and organizational policies and procedures
- Contracts and licensing agreements
- Charitable support including grants, loans, recoverable notes and mission-related investments
- Mergers and affiliations
- Employment agreements
- Employment law counseling
- Partnerships, joint ventures and strategic alliances
- Real estate leasing and acquisition
- Board and executive succession planning
- Tax planning and disputes
- Federal and state grant law and compliance
- Privacy and security policies and procedures
Brad assists private foundations and public charities with navigating complex tax regulations and procedures, including receipt and disposition of complex charitable gifts and participation in innovative forms of impactful philanthropy.