Karen Newburg focuses on all phases of estate administration, federal and state estate tax preparation, post-mortem tax planning, trust funding, allowance of accounts, and other probate matters. She assists clients through an often complicated and emotional process of settling a loved one’s estate.
Prior to joining Hemenway & Barnes, Karen practiced as a trusts and estates attorney. She has broad experience in estate planning, probate litigation, conservatorships and guardianships.
Karen’s experience includes estate administration for estates of varying complexity, including:
- Guiding clients through the probate process, including allowance of will and administration of the estate. This includes collecting and valuing assets, payment of debts and expenses, probate accounting, management of real estate transactions, and distribution of assets to beneficiaries under the terms of the will and trust.
- Settling cross-border estates for U.S. citizens living abroad or with assets outside the U.S. and foreign nationals with assets in the U.S.
- Preparation of state and federal estate tax returns and working with attorneys to manage federal and state estate tax audits.
- Implementing complex estate plans for high net-worth clients through trust funding and post-mortem tax planning.
- Substantial knowledge of the Massachusetts Uniform Probate Code and Massachusetts Uniform Trust Code.