As an estate administrator at Hemenway & Barnes, Claire Myers focuses on all phases of estate administration and the probate process, including, federal and state estate tax preparation, post-mortem tax planning, trust funding, allowance of accounts, and other probate matters such as guardianships and conservatorships. Claire works closely with client’s families throughout the probate proceedings helping them navigate what is often a complicated and emotional process.
Prior to joining Hemenway & Barnes, Claire worked in estate administration at a Boston-based financial planning firm.
During law school, Claire served as a judicial intern for the Honorable Judith G. Dein of the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
Claire’s experience includes estate administration for estates of varying complexity, including:
- Guiding clients through the probate process, including allowance of will and administration of the estate. This includes collecting and valuing assets, payment of debts and expenses, probate accounting, management of real estate transactions, and distribution of assets to beneficiaries under the terms of the will and trust.
- Settling cross-border estates for U.S. citizens living abroad or with assets outside the U.S. and foreign nationals with assets in the U.S.
- Preparation of state and federal estate tax returns and working with attorneys to manage federal and state estate tax audits.
- Implementing complex estate plans for high net-worth clients through trust funding and post-mortem tax planning.
- Substantial knowledge of the Massachusetts Uniform Probate Code and Massachusetts Uniform Trust Code.