Kevin M. Ellis has a broad-based practice that focuses on estate and charitable planning, probate, trust administration and nonprofit counsel. He concentrates on creating estate and charitable plans for clients that fulfill their planning needs while taking into account family values, financial resources, and state and federal taxes. He also has extensive experience planning for vacation properties and other multi-generational assets.
Additionally, Kevin counsels nonprofit organizations, assisting them with formation, drafting organizational documents, and operating issues. He serves as general counsel to a number of private foundations.
Before joining Hemenway & Barnes, Kevin worked extensively on corporate matters, including business formation, financing and transactions at an international law firm. Drawing on his experience, Kevin works with entrepreneurs and business owners to incorporate their business and personal goals into their trust and estate plans.
- Developed tax-efficient multi-generational wealth transfer strategies for a wealthy business owner.
- Created a framework to allow a large family with members located across the country to own and use family vacation property in an equitable manner that met their varying degrees of financial means and ability to enjoy the property.
- Helped two business partners negotiate an exit from their former employer and form, launch and manage a large competitor.
- Advised two trustees on managing a large trust with multiple family-member beneficiaries.
- Represents principals of venture capital and private equity firms in creating family gifting programs for carried interests.