Partner, Chair of the Private Client Group
Charles R. Platt
Charlie Platt is a partner and the chair of the Private Client Group. He works with individuals and families on their personal planning needs, including estate and charitable planning, as well as probate and trust administration.
Charlie Platt works with individuals and families on their personal planning needs, including estate and charitable planning, as well as probate and trust administration. With an eye toward the efficient transfer and preservation of wealth, he focuses on estate, gift, generation-skipping, and income taxes.
Before joining Hemenway & Barnes, Charlie spent seven years working at a large New York law firm, and he continues to serve both Massachusetts and New York clients.
- Creating and administering estate plans with an emphasis on practical solutions tailored to the individual family’s needs.
- Advising families on wealth transfer and tax planning strategies, including generation skipping transfer (GST), gift, and estate taxes, and charitable giving.
- Developing strategies for insurance planning, private equity and hedge fund interests, and transfers of real estate.
- Advising privately held businesses on succession planning.
- Serving as a trustee of individual and family trusts.
- Assisting with all facets of probate and estate administration.
“The role of an estate planning lawyer entails developing customized, creative solutions to real-life issues. I love getting to know clients, learning about what is important to them and their families, and assisting them with their planning needs, whether it be a simple will and health care proxy or a complex multi-generational estate plan. I feel privileged to be a part of the Hemenway & Barnes private client group, where the commitment to understanding and serving clients is at the heart of every action.”
— Charlie’s Comment on Estate Planning