Paul Cathcart assists individuals and families with tax and estate planning. Focused on developing tax-efficient wealth transfer strategies, Paul advises clients on complex assets such as businesses, real estate, art and collectibles, and investments. He also advises families on international tax issues related to estate planning, probate, and gift and estate taxes.
Additionally, Paul advises clients on tax controversies, including state and federal audits and appeals.
Prior to joining Hemenway & Barnes, Paul practiced in the tax and trusts and estate groups at an international law firm. He also served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable R. Lanier Anderson III of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
- U.S. gift and estate tax planning under the 2017 Tax Act
- Massachusetts estate tax planning for both residents and nonresidents
- Planning for the “step up” in U.S. income tax basis at death
- Advising on options to adjust existing irrevocable trusts
- Advising on fiduciary exposure in contentious situations
- Formation and administration of family investment companies (FLPs)
- Retrospective generation-skipping transfer (GST) tax analysis
- “Post mortem” tax planning
- Gift tax planning for “carried interest” recipients
- Drafting and administration of charitable remainder trusts
- Consulting on tax and trust-and-estates questions for financial services companies
- Planning for U.S. nonresident aliens owning U.S.-situs assets