Condominium & Cooperative Law
Property owners have sought our help over the years to create condominiums and cooperatives of all types and sizes. The members of our Real Estate Group have worked with clients to create:
- Residential and commercial condominiums
- Limited equity cooperative
- Cond-ops (cooperatives within condominiums)
- Mixed-used (commercial and residential) condominiums
Our attorneys also assist condominium associations and cooperative boards in creating, reviewing and amending governing documents. Clients also rely on us to help address problems involving developers, abutters, contractors and other third parties. In addition, our expertise in cooperatives and condominiums is invaluable when we represent buyers and sellers of individual coop or condo units.
- A Boston artist nonprofit engaged Hemenway & Barnes to create an artist limited-equity cooperative within the framework of a mixed-use condominium. We represented the organization in purchasing and renovating an industrial building in the Fort Point section of Boston, obtaining zoning relief and assisting in leasing commercial space.
- A Beacon Hill condominium association engaged Hemenway & Barnes to negotiate and draft engineering and construction contracts with outside contractors to stabilize pilings.
- A condominium owner hired us to obtain approval from his condominium association to break through the common wall of two adjacent condominium units to combine and renovate them into one large unit.
Teresa A. Belmonte
Teresa A. Belmonte advises closely held businesses, nonprofits, and individuals on business and real estate law matters.