For the family of means, a family office offers many benefits. When structured appropriately and managed well, a family office serves to coordinate the stewardship of assets and organize philanthropic and personal interests. It also provides the flexibility to pursue strategies that take into account the needs of the individuals, as well as the family as a whole.
The family office often plays a critical role in defining and preserving a sense of family values. Our clients often find that the family office is an effective way to manage family philanthropy, wealth education of children, and family governance.
A Suite of Family Office Services
At Hemenway & Barnes, we offer a full range of services through the family office services including:
- Wealth Preservation including portfolio investment, fiduciary services, trust administration, oversight of outside managers, performance reporting and review integrated tax reporting
- Wealth Transfer Planning including estate planning and administration, tax planning and return preparation, family gifting/loans, planning for family lands, tangible property and collections, risk management, special needs/disability planning and financial planning
- Family Education and Governance including family meetings, wealth education of children, marital agreements, and advice and education regarding aging family members
- Philanthropy including foundation management and charitable planning
- Legal Services including residential real estate, personal litigation and dispute resolution, will contests, tax audit representation, guardianships and conservatorships
- Household Management including bill paying, mail, budgeting and cash flow analysis, hiring and managing contractors and household staff
The range of services provided depends on the goals and needs of each family. We tailor our services with personal attention which is always a common denominator.
A Tailored Approach
Operating a single family office can be complicated and costly. This is why Hemenway & Barnes offers an alternative, multi-family office platform for clients.
We work with families to assess the many factors involved in making the very personal decision to establish a family office, including size of the asset base and family dynamics. Regardless of which path you take, the attorneys, trustees and philanthropic advisors at Hemenway & Barnes apply the firm's personal touch.