Legal Counsel : Real Estate & Land Use Planning
Landowners and developers face a complex set of laws and regulations governing the use and development of their property. A broad range of clients seek the assistance of our firm's Real Estate Law Group to:
- Identify the permits and approvals required under zoning, environmental and other land-use laws for a particular use or project
- Develop a strategy for obtaining these permits and approvals
- Execute this strategy and obtain the necessary permits and approvals in a timely fashion
This process often includes negotiating with local and state permitting boards, as well as neighbors and other interested parties, and representing clients at hearings and meetings.
Clients want a clear and workable development structure among various investors and other participants, something critical to the success of any project. Our attorneys help our clients select and form the appropriate development entity, one which provides a practical, integrated framework for growth and success.
- A South Shore nonprofit engaged us to represent them in connection with the construction of an addition to its Marshfield facility, which was funded in part through Federal Economic Stimulus funds.
- A development company asked us for advice regarding how to convert a privately owned public golf course to a private golf club.
- A residential contractor sought our help in negotiating and drafting an agreement with a local development agency to construct 196 units for sale to qualified low-income residents.
- An individual client hired us to advise him in connection with the purchase and renovation of a building in the Kendall Square area of Cambridge and the creation of an artist condominium.
- A local developer hired us to handle all aspects of a residential condominium project in Cambridge, Massachusetts, including acquisition, permitting, financing and construction.
- A nonprofit hired us to obtain permitting for a new headquarters facility in Boston.