Legal Counsel : Real Estate & Land Use Planning
Condominium and Cooperative Law
A wide variety of property owners have sought our help for years to create condominiums and cooperatives of all types and sizes. The members of our Real Estate Group have worked with clients on all kinds of sophisticated transactions and legal structures, including:
- Residential and commercial condominiums
- Limited equity cooperative
- Cond-ops (cooperatives within condominiums)
Our attorneys also assist condominium associations and cooperatives in creating, reviewing and amending governing documents. Clients also rely on us to help address problems involving developers, abutters, contractors and other third parties.
- A Boston artist nonprofit engaged Hemenway & Barnes to create an artist limited equity cooperative within the framework of a mixed use condominium.
- A Beacon Hill condominium association engaged Hemenway & Barnes to negotiate and draft engineering and construction contracts with outside contractors to stabilize pilings.
- A condominium owner hired us to obtain approval to break through the common wall of two adjacent condominium units to combine and renovate into one large unit.