Michael J. Puzo concentrates on trust and estate matters, serving as a trustee of private trusts and charitable foundations. He also devotes substantial time to private client work generally, including sophisticated estate and charitable gift planning and the resolution of probate disputes.
Michael chairs the Private Client Group at Hemenway & Barnes and was formerly the firm’s managing partner. Michael is also a Managing Director and Treasurer of Hemenway Trust Company, a New Hampshire based private fiduciary firm.
Along with many private clients, Mr. Puzo's nonprofit clients include Boston College and the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston.
2005 Founder’s Medal Recipient, Boston College Law School. Awarded to a graduate who embodies the tradition of professionalism, scholarship and service that the Law School seeks to instill in its students.
Named as a New England Super Lawyer
Activities and Publications
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Member, Estate Planning Committee of the Boston Bar Association
- Former member, Professional Advisory Committee of the Boston Foundation
- Former faculty member for educational programs presented by MCLE, the American Law Institute, American Bar Association, the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, and the Boston Estate Planning Council
- Written on charitable gift planning for Trusts and Estates Magazine and on will and trust drafting for MCLE and ALI-ABA
- He has spoken before the Planned Giving Group of New England, both on respecting donative intent in charitable giving and on legislative developments and the current state of federal estate and gift taxes
A resident of Hingham, MA, Michael has been active in the town's civic affairs for over 30 years.
- Currently, he serves as Hingham Town Moderator, presiding at Hingham Town Meeting, with responsibility for appointing citizens to various town boards and committees
- Former Chairman, Hingham Personnel Board, with responsibility for the town's employee relations, union negotiations, and personnel policies
- Former Chairman, Search Committee for the Hingham Town Administrator and former member, Hingham Zoning Board of Appeals, the Hingham Transportation Committee, and the Hingham Water Supply Committee
Additionally Michael is involved with various organizations in a wide range of leadership capacities:
- Board Chair and Trustee, South Shore Conservatory
- Member, Board of Directors, Boston Lyric Opera
- Member, Board of Overseers, New England Conservatory
- Member, Dean's Advisory Board, Boston College Law School
Michael Puzo’s Comment on Industry Trends in Trusts and Estates
“Having been a part of the H&B and HTC communities for my entire career has been a profound privilege. Earning a client’s confidence, keeping that confidence, and helping a client through hard times – these are just some of the gifts that come with this profession. With all of the uncertainties and complexities of modern financial life, being part of a firm that is committed to the individual and his or her success gives my work true meaning.”