Nancy Gardiner works with families on governance, succession and all facets of family office creation, operation and management. She also advises individuals and families on all aspects of charitable giving, including the creation of charitable vehicles, such as private foundations, advising families and individuals regarding areas of interest and the structuring of individual gifts. Nancy also counsels development offices on issues relating to major gifts.
Nancy also oversees the firm's Philanthropy and Family Office Services which includes helping clients accomplish everyday tasks, such as bill paying, relocations, oversight of special assets or collections and other issues related to "life management." Nancy is also Managing Director and Secretary of Hemenway Trust Company, a New Hampshire based private fiduciary firm.
Nancy's clients include families and individuals throughout New England.
- Currently administers several large family philanthropies, including Jane's Trust
- Works with families on the transition of wealth from one generation to the next, with a focus on legal, financial, and philanthropic objectives
- Advises development offices of major nonprofit organizations throughout New England and has experience in structuring gifts and creating agreements to protect the interests of both the donor and the recipient institution
- Advises families on the dynamics of passing a family business from one generation to another and on the strategic issues involved in the evolution of a family business
- Represents nonprofit organizations, primarily in the areas of governance and development
Activities and Publications
A former lecturer at Boston College's Carroll School of Management, Nancy Gardiner has written on topics related to nonprofit management and philanthropy. She continues to speak on these and related topics to groups, including the Association of Fundraising Professionals.
- Past-President, Member of the Board of Trustees of the Winsor School
- Member of the Board of the Associated Grant Makers
- Member of the Board of Overseers of The Brookline Education Foundation
- Member of Selection Advisory Council for Greenlight Fund
Nancy Gardiner’s Comments on Working with Families and Philanthropy
“Most of my clients are individuals and families. For many, I am ‘first call’ for questions – no issue is too big or too small. I work with clients on the whole picture. This includes how to talk to children about family wealth, or how to transition wealth from one generation to the next while achieving important philanthropic goals. I also work with nonprofit organizations, a natural fit given my personal commitment to volunteer work. Issues include governance, and structuring gifts in a tax sensitive way that respects the wishes of all the parties involved. Listening is important to me. I am satisfied only when I hear my clients tell me that I’ve exceeded their expectations.”