Joan Garrity Flynn has practiced probate law for over 30 years. She joined Hemenway & Barnes in 2008, focusing her practice in the areas of estate and charitable planning; estate, trust and guardianship administration; and probate court equity matters. Joan also serves as trustee for private family trusts and charitable foundations.
Joan began her legal career in 1981 at Herrick & Smith, joining Goodwin Procter LLP in 1986. She joined Palmer & Dodge LLP in 1996 and was a Senior Counsel in the Private Client Department at the time of the merger with Edward Angell LLP, where she remained until coming to Hemenway & Barnes.
Joan’s experience has included a variety of estate planning, estate settlement and nonprofit legal matters including:
- Successful resolution of court proceeding to confirm decedent’s intent with respect to provisions under her will and subsequent creation of charitable foundation
- Creation of sophisticated estate plans for owners of significant real estate interests utilizing limited liability entities
- Design and implementation of a structure for estate beneficiaries to hold and manage inherited property interests
- Successful negotiation and resolution of federal and state estate tax audits
- Working with a major religious organization to analyze, propose solutions for and obtain court approval relating to restricted gifts, the terms of which are no longer possible to fulfill
Joan has been long active in civic and community affairs in her hometown of Weston, Massachusetts. She has been deeply involved with the Weston Public Schools in capacities that include president of the parent-teacher organization and service on search committees. She has served as a member of her church's parish council and on other church committees, as a member of the Weston Educational Enrichment Fund for several terms, member of the Board of Parmenter Health Center in Wayland, and member of the Board of the Jesuit Collaborative.
Activities and Publications
- Faculty member for Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc.
- Member of the Probate Law/Trust and Estate sections of the American, Massachusetts and Boston Bar Associations