Stephen W. Kidder concentrates his practice in the areas of taxation and professional fiduciary services. Mr. Kidder counsels a number of New England’s leading nonprofit organizations in the areas of governance, regulatory and compliance issues. In addition, he serves as a private fiduciary for many family trusts. Mr. Kidder represents major professional sports players associations nationally on both state and local tax issues.
Mr. Kidder was formerly the firm’s managing partner, and serves as President and Managing Director of Hemenway Trust Company, a private fiduciary firm based in Salem, New Hampshire.
Prior to joining Hemenway & Barnes LLP in 1991, Mr. Kidder served as Commissioner of Revenue (1987 to 1991) and as General Counsel to the Secretary for Administration and Finance for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Mr. Kidder also was a Clerk for the Honorable A. David Mazzone, Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
- Mr. Kidder serves as tax counsel to all professional athlete players associations, including the Major League Baseball Players Association, the National Basketball Players Association, the National Football League Players Association, the National Hockey League Players Association and the Major League Soccer Players Association. Mr. Kidder represents the players associations on tax issues across the country.
- Mr. Kidder serves as General Counsel to Citizens Energy Corporation.
- Mr. Kidder is the Lead Independent Trustee of Century Mutual Funds.
- As counsel, Mr. Kidder obtained regulatory and court approval for the expansion and renovation of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum.
Activities and Publications
- Mr. Kidder has written and spoken extensively about the taxation of professional athletes.
- “A task force on reforming the corporate tax system arrives at a timely consensus,” Stephen W. Kidder, CommonWealth Magazine, Spring 2008
- Mr. Kidder has spoken to various groups about the PILOT program including the recommendations and impact on nonprofit organizations.
- President, Board of Trustees, Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, Boston
- Vice Chair, Boston Children’s Hospital Trust
- Vice Chair, Board of Trustees, Wellesley College
- Chair, Boston’s PILOT Task Force (2009 through 2010) appointed by Mayor Thomas M. Menino
- Member of Commonwealth of Massachusetts Study Commission on Corporate Taxation (2007-2008) appointed by Governor Deval Patrick; Chair of the Subcommittee on Combined Reporting
- Past Trustee, Massachusetts Biomedical Research Corporation
- Past Trustee, Museum of Science
- Past Trustee, First Night Boston
- Past Trustee, Massachusetts Association of the Blind