Michael Elefante serves as the lead trustee of a number of family trust complexes both within Hemenway and Barnes and with outside trustees, including United States Trust Company, Fiduciary Trust Company and Gannett, Welsh & Kotler and as advisor to those families on both investment and estate planning matters. Mike chairs the Investment Committee of Hemenway & Barnes. He has primary responsibility for the relationships between the firm, its outside advisors and the managers of its alternative investments.
- Trustee of both private trusts and charitable trusts and foundations
Acted as the lead trustee for the Bancroft trusts in the sale of Dow Jones & Co., Inc. to News Corporation
Successfully manages private trusts for high net-worth families
- Co-trustee of Jane’s Trust, one of the leading philanthropies in New England
Activities and Publications
Mike speaks on issues arising from the management of charitable trusts and foundations and has recently addressed groups sponsored by the Maine Center for Philanthropy, the Council on Foundations and the Boston College Center on Wealth and Philanthropy.
Mike is a member of the consultative group on the Fourth Restatement of Trusts published by the American Law Institute of which he is a life member.
Director, Citi Performing Arts Center, and Chair of the Governance Committee
- Director, Chair—Legislative Committee, and Past President Greater Boston Legal Services
(increased endowment and acquired headquarters building during tenure as President)
- Member, Advisory Board of the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs at Syracuse University
- Trust Fund Commissioner for the Town of Winchester